This Week’s Wine of the Week, is the Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc + Viognier, 2019. I am super excited to share this wine with you as I have been a fan of this winery since the late 1990s. Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc + Viognier and other wines from this winery were a part of my portfolio when I was a wine sales representative. When the winery sent a DM asking if I would consideration featuring this as a wine of the week, my answer was a ,”Yes, of course!” This wine is delicious, affordable and interesting.” Continue reading to learn about, what makes this my pick for wine of the week. Check out the video below.
About Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc + Viognier, 2019
- Producer: Pine Ridge Winery, Napa, California
- Grapes: Chenin Blanc: This blend features 78% of Chenin Blanc grape. Chenin blanc is known as the white grape of South Africa and the Loire Valley (Vouvray) in France. It also grows in California (obviously), Argentina, and other parts of the world. Our wine of the week is a still wine (no bubbles) but I want to note that chenin blanc is used to make sparkling wines in Vouvray and South Africa (Cap Classique). Chenin Blanc is also used to make a dessert wine in Anjou and brandy in South Africa. Chenin blanc from a warm climate like South Africa is rich with honey and nectarine flavors. From a cooler climate you will taste lemon and pear flavors.
- Grape: Viognier: You all know that I love viognier. This blend is 22% Viognier. Viognier is grown in various parts of the world. Most notably, The Rhone Valley and Languedoc regions of France. Australia (try an Eden Valley Viognier) and USA. Viogniers are known for their floral contributions to the smell of wines. In colder climates you will find flavors of lime, flowers and oranges. In warmer growing areas, look for tropical fruit flavors.
- Taste: The Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc + Viognier is a delightful blend. This wine merges cool citrus fruit with a lush peaches, ginger and white flowers. This wine is dangerously effortless (you could finish the entire bottle before you know it).
- Food: Try it fresh green salads, sea food, and quiche Lorraine.
- When to Serve: Serve during social distancing, big parties, Sunday brunch with the girls, or on a sunny afternoon.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.